If you are an attorney looking for a way to give back, the Hotline Referral Attorney Panel (HRAP) may be for you. Basically, you agree to accept referrals for clients who cannot be helped over the phone by our Legal Hotline. The clients need more personal attention, usually at a fee the clients can afford.
Pro Seniors’ Legal Hotline offers free legal advice to Ohioans age 60 and older. While many problems can be solved over the phone, some cannot. That’s why the HRAP was created.
Today, the HRAP has attorneys throughout Ohio, many of whom have agreed to accept cases from moderately low-income persons at an agreed-upon reduced fee, or in some instances, for free. When appropriate, the Legal Hotline also refers clients to local legal aid offices and other community resources available to assist them.
As an attorney, how do you qualify?
• Be, and continue to be, an attorney in good standing with the Supreme Court of Ohio;
• Maintain an office separate and distinct from any other business or residence;
• Be actively engaged in the private practice of law;
• Carry, and continue to carry, professional liability insurance equivalent to at least $100,000 per occurrence and $300,000 in the aggregate, which insurance is acceptable to Pro Seniors;
• Represent clients in a professional and businesslike manner in all respects;
• Meet the minimum CLE credits in areas of expertise indicated; and
• Abide by HRAP rules and procedures.
What are the benefits?
In addition to fee-paying clients, you gain the benefit of:
Legal Pamphlets: You can receive, at no charge, pamphlets prepared by Pro Seniors on areas of elder law.
Elder Law Consultations: Call Pro Seniors’ staff attorneys, who practice exclusively in elder law, for technical assistance on behalf of your HRAP referrals and non-HRAP clients.
Speaking Referrals: You can receive referrals to speak to older adult organizations in your geographic area. Indicate the topics you are able to cover on the registration form.
How do I join the panel?
It’s easy! Mail the following to Pro Seniors:
• your completed registration form;
• the declarations page of your professional liability insurance; and
• a check for $75 payable to Pro Seniors, Inc.